Apartment in guia

 

Welcome

We would like to welcome you to our website which has just been set-up to display our apartment in the town of Guia, which is located about 5 km outside Albufeira in the Algarve region of Portugal.

 

We hope that you will find this web site easy to use and that all of the information you need is available to make you booking decision all the easier.

 

We would welcome any comments or queries you may have regarding this web site and/or the apartment itself.

 

                             

                              About Albufeira

            All information is provided courtesy of Algarve Tourism  .

                    Guia.

 

                          Information

The Local Area
 

 

The Bell Tower
Constructed in 1869, this tower is part of the parish- Church. The access to the top of the tower is by a 28 meter stairway which is topped with an eight-bell carillon.
The Clock Tower
The symbol of the city may be found at Rua Bernardino de Sousa. During the 19th century this tower was adorned with an iron crown which holds the bell that rings out the hours and is illuminated on festivals.
 

Misericórdia Chapel
This chapel, a former Arab mosque, is located at the Rua Henrique Calado, and was the Governors' chapel. In 1499 it was restored and named the "Capela da Misericórdia". This chapel was also affected by the 1755 earthquake, the reconstruction restoring the original body and main doorway to its Gothic style.
The interior shows a carved wooden altar piece supporting an image of Our Lady of the Visitation and of the Dead Father and also the tomb of Rui Dias who was assumed to be the Governor of the Castle.
The Parish Church
This church is located on the Rua da Igreja Nova and dates back to the 18th century (1782). Blessed on 15th July 1800 by the Bishop of the Algarve, Dom Francisco Gomes de Avelar, this edifice substituted the former Parish-Church which collapsed during the earthquake of 1755. The church is Neo-classical in style, built with only one nave. It has 4 lateral chapels, the baptismal chapel, the choir, two pulpits and two lateral rooms. These rooms are dedicated to the Holy Souls of the Bishop S. Luís, Our Lady of Fátima and the Sacred Heart of Jesus. A magnificent painting is to be noted by the artist Samora Barros of Albufeira which decorates the church's high altar and serves as a background for the image of Our Lady of the Conception, patron saint of Albufeira.

   
Bell Tower
Matriz Church

Old Doorway

Santa Ana Doorway
This doorway is one of the three castle doorways and was given its name due to the fact that it provides access to the chapel of Santa Ana which also disappeared in the 1755 earthquake. At the end of the 18th century worship to Sant'Ana continued to be performed in the current chapel.
Santa Ana Church

This temple was built in the 18th century and is located in the Largo Jacinto d'Ayet square. The main Chapel shows a wooden altar piece which is believed to have been made by the masters Francisco Xavier Guedelha and João Baptista. An altar piece holding Our Lady of Pain is also to be noted and an image of the Crucifixion of Christ sculpted in wood.
S. Sebastião Church
This church was built during the mid-18th century and is located in the Miguel Bombarda square. Its architectural style is of popular inspiration. From the outside one may see the dome and two doorways, the sides of which are adorned with stone masonry in Manueline style, the main ornamentation being an excellent example of Baroque style. The interior is composed of only one nave and one may also behold an 18th-century wood altar piece, 6 images of saints all in wood by an unknown artist, and also an image carved in stone perhaps from the 16th century which belonged to the early chapel of Nª Srª da Piedade.


   
São Sebastian Church walk
Orada Chapel

Clocktower

 

Castle Walls
There are only the remains of one of the Towers of the Castle Wall located at the Rua Joaquim Pedro Samora where the North Gateway or the Beach Gateway would be situated.
Town Hall
The construction date of this building is unknown but it is believed to have originated during Medieval times. The building was severely damaged by the 1755 earthquake and by the fire which broke out during the liberal wars and the guerrilla invasion by Remexido. Over the main doorway one may see the Azevedo coat-of-arms representing the cross of the Order of Aviz and an owl in flight, the head of the family being the Governor of Albufeira Castle.
The Old Inn building
This building may be found at Rua Henrique Calado, being one of the few constructions which survived the 1755 earthquake. Many travelers and beggars would shelter and stay here.
Xorino Cave
This geological formation under the cliff served as a shelter for the fugitive Moors during the Christian Reconquest of Albufeira.

   
Castle Wall
S. Vicente             
 

 

S. Vicente de Albufeira
This monument, in honour of the Friar Vicente de Stº António, is located in the Largo Jacinto d'Ayet square. Saint Vicente was born in 1590 in the Town of Albufeira and his mother offered him to Our Lady of Orada upon his baptism. The death of his parents led him into the priesthood after which he left for Mexico where he was accepted into the Order of Santo Agostinho. After many difficulties he finally managed to fulfill his dream - to preach the Christian faith in Japan. He was imprisoned for two years during which he was tortured to force him to give up his Christian beliefs. Since he did not recant his Christianity he was placed in a cell and then burned at the stake. On September 3rd 1632, he died while lifting a crucifix and calling out "Long live the Faith of Jesus Christ".

 

    

tag heuer replica sale
cartier replica
replica rolex uk
hublot replica uk
hublot replica